When the Universe (well Jill actually) sends you limes – make lime marmalade!
This recipe has been a winner in our fam for decades and guests in the Retreat just love its fresh zesty taste on their morning sourdough too.
1kg limes (about 12 medium)
2 litres water
2 kg sugar
- Wash limes and slice as finely as possible
- Place limes in a basin with water, cover and stand overnight
- Place lime mixture in a boiler, bring to the boil then reduce heat to a simmer
- Simmer covered for an hour
- Measure your mixture and add one cup of sugar for every cup of mixture
- Stir over high heat with out boiling until the sugar is dissolved
- Bring to the boil and boil as rapidly as possible uncovered without stirring for 20 minutes or until jam will jell on a cold saucer.
- Stand 5 mins then pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.
Makes about 9 cups.
* If you want to get all fancy, stir 1/2 cup of brandy in after allowing the finished jam to stand for 5 and before pouring it into your jars